1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

APB: trueCall Ownership Details Added to User Profiles

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by Top Cat, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    We have added an option to the Personal Details section of your user profiles, where you can select your trueCall ownership status. This puts a sign up under your name next to each post (see left), so there need never be confusion who is referring to what version of the hardware. Everybody please set your profile! (click on your name near "inbox" at the top of the page, select "Personal Details", select the description which fits best and then click "save" at the bottom)

2. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I am gratified by the uptake of this. Thanks all!

3. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    BT line - in God's own county
    Just a suggestion, would adding the country of use to the Personal Details in the same manner as trueCall ownership
    be a good idea so that we know when one of our community members is UK or non-UK and don't make bad/embarrassing/insulting assumptions.
    ;) And lets not get into the Englishman, Scotsman, Welshman or Irishman(NI) conundrum :duel:

HAL9000 likes this.
  4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Good idea. I'll see what I can do.

5. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Continental Europe
    Good idea db1, but please don't force members to reveal their true country if they don't want. Allow continents or geographical regions, e.g. Western Europe, Northern America...
    I'm asking this, because I learned to never reveal too much information about yourself on the Internet. E.g. Facebook etc. :bangin:

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I hear what you are saying, but surely a county is suitably vague? At least we should be able to identify which telecoms organisation the user is under, in case it is relevant to a technical enquiry.

Not allowing a new user to promote to Member unless a location is filled in will encourage its use - there's nothing stopping somebody from lying of course.

7. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    I suppose that most members won't mind giving their location.

Suitably vague? Yes and no. I don't care what trueCall or the NSA & co. know about me. But I mind what Google, Apple, Twitter, Amazon and all these hidden trackers like BlueKai, Quantcast, MediaMind or Klout spy on me, to then supply very sophisticated cross-referenced information to the advertisement industry, which is part of the cold calling problem. And for that I have zero tolerance.

If the purpose to give your location, is to distinguish if the member is UK or non-UK as db1 suggests, then IMHO, an exception for paranoids like me, to only make the region public should do it.:shh:

If it's for technical reasons, this minority might give false information.
    Then the whole purpose of knowing the telecoms of the member is futile.
    For guys like me, please allow at least that when entered the true country, that only the region is made public or other sort of compromise.

8. David

David Member

trueCall Model:
    Glorious Devon (Sod the NSA!)
    Just posting to see how my location appears. :innocent:

9. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    Yes! I can see you! ;)

10. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Oh yes! I had my location filled in, but diabolo has changed the boxes.

11. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    Glad you said that as I hadn't noticed - have taken a leaf from your book! I had more precise location previously as it doesn't bother me particularly.

12. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Come on the Whites... er, Reds (I'm always confused when the 6 Nations is on)

13. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    :) They gave me my naturalisation papers years ago! (But I do have a sneaky cheer for the reds when not being watched; well TOH is from Sarff Lunnun!)

14. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I have relocated the off-topic banter (always welcome) to the Village Pump, but for some reason I can't post in the new topic!

Sorted now :)

15. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    Nor can I, and I am the one, who allegedly started the thread, actually relocated there, by TC
    and I have another thread there which I genuinely started.
    One for Diabolo I think.
    see the private conversation started by me, with TC and Diabolo added

Q: does the forum have a setting to force replies to a particular reply post to go to the village pump (or elsewhere), i.e. a replies redirect condition ?

16. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    I agree we all want privacy, the worst cases start with data illegally mined by rogue webcrawlers and that which has been obtained by once-trusted webcrawlers and subsequently releasedillegally without your permission by primary data miners or secondary data miners that you were unaware the data had been passed on to.

[Reposted/Edited by db1 - put back into original thread as it got accidentally moved to the village pump when conversation went off topic and part relocated.]