1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

County Loyalties

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by db1, Jun 16, 2013.

1. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    BT line - in God's own county
    Living in the largest county in England and being xd should be suitably anonymous, but lets forget the political area shenanigans of the Local Government Act 1972, of culling the 3 ridings (North, East, West), giving away chunks to the Red Rose county, and declaring Yorkshire to be 3 countys (North, South and West), unitary authorities following the Local Government Commission 1992, and the Local Government and Public Involvement in Health Act 2007 , and all the related Statutory Instruments.

Will these DAMN politicians stop tinkering and deal with the real problems of the Economy (Bankers/illegal gamblers in particular, tax avoiders and other financial sharks) personal privacy and the identification of scammers, confidence tricksters and unscrupulous (Prob. Illegal) data miners.

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I still say Newport is in Gwent, although historically I suppose that ought to be Monmouthshire...

I agree, there is no real need to align postal address boundaries (counties) that people feel an emotional attachment for, with administrative reorganisations.

3. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    Depends whether you observe the boundaries of the historic counties statuted in 1535, administrative counties of 1889, the counties established on April Fools Day - 1st April 1974, (excellent date and implicit comment on the stupidity of politicians) or the unitary authorities established again on April Fools Day 1996 following the Local Government (Wales) Act 1994.

Or the boundaries claimed by the Royal Mail/Post Office to be their own commercial private data in the Postcodes system.

4. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Welshman in England!
    Historically (i.e. within written record) those which predate the Norman Conquest of England in 1066 and subsequently the other countries forming the UK were not even Counties; usually they were Principalities/Kingdoms in their own right. "It all depends" (quoting the old Brains' Trust) on how far we choose to go back in time. We have a tendency to say things like "It always used to be..." and talk within our own living memory. I know where I was born but no longer know in which County it is as I haven't lived there for many years and haven't even visited in 20!

As for the Postcodes system - bah humbug!

After my early retirement from teaching I spent some years in commerce, which they referred to as "the real world"! What a joke! Send an important package to somewhere like Machynlleth and it would invariably get lost as the Postcode was Shrewsbury; administratively efficient but logistically illogical!

5. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    Never mind the six nations but when any International Rugby competition (or indeed any International Sport) is going on. There are not enough colour combinations for any country to have a single set of colours. They all have 2 sets of colours and they all come off the field looking the same colour when it is muddy :)

Shirt Colours:
    • Scotland, France, Italy, Argentina - Blue (different shades) Argentina (1st Sky Blue&White stripes, 2nd is a Deep Blue)
    • Ireland, South Africa - Green
    • England - White (2nd colours for Scotland, NZ, South Africa, Australia, Ireland, France, Italy)
    • Wales - Red (2nd colour for England)
    • NZ - Black (2nd colours for Wales)
    • Australia - Gold

cambrensis likes this.
  6. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    :rofl: How true! Perhaps all should standardise on mud-coloured.

Red/white for England of course from the Cross of St George
    Red/black for Wales from the Dragon and the Cross of St David respectively
    Blue/white for Scotland from the Cross of St Andrew
    Green/white for Ireland from the tricolour

7. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    ...who couldn't pronounce it and chucked it in the "too difficult" bin.

db1 likes this.
  8. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    Could not pronounce "Shrewsbury" ?

or did you mean "Machynlleth"

I wish more of the traditional smilies were in the set only ~5: :) :( :D ;) :P appear to be NOT of the :Bollocks: variety, I prefer to remember them and type rather than click.

:eek is part of the :Bollocks: set and many of the traditional ones don't show up until you have posted/previewed or switched back and forth between plain and rich text. They appear to be implemented via some text substitution rules which are only processed when you refresh.

cambrensis likes this.
  9. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    cambrensis likes this.
  10. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
  11. db1

db1 Member

trueCall Model:
    Then the TV would be useless or look like it was pre 1967 when BBC2 became the third channel (and only colour channel) and only channel in the UHF band and we had 3 aerials.

One pointing at a BBC transmitter, one at a ITV Transmitter, one at a UHF transmitter.

Then on 19 March 1969 17:01:45 the then tallest standing structure in the world fell over, after being there for and in service for less than 3 years and we were back to a single TV Channel - BBC1

Emley Moor ITV, VHF (also BBC2 UHF) transmitter, a guy-supported 386 meter tubular mast had fallen over due to icing and a low speed oscillation effect on the stays induced by the wind when at a particular velocity. A guy stay broke and 2 out of 3 won't support a tube for very long.

The Techs there did not bother with hard hats which would make no difference if a single piece of ice fell on you. Any ice that fell pre-collapse was in the many tonnes range.

12. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    That's when commentary came into its own - still does in a mud bath.