1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Forum Member Privileges

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by HAL9000, May 14, 2013.

1. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Continental Europe
    I see that many privileges are related to the number of postings. Like posting web addresses or the like function. I searched for a thread, which lists all these privileges and posts numbers, but didn't find anything. Can you enlighten me?

And this makes one more posting.:innocent:

[Inserted by TC] Full details are in post 15, click here:
    http://truecallcommunity.co.uk/threads/options-to-delete-or-modify.140/#post-650

2. Roger

Roger Moderator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    It would be nice if it were possible to delete any posts that were your own. The editing options are only available for 10 minutes after posting so by the time you reconsider your posting, checking the facts and retyping the edited version it fails because the 10 minute deadline has passed.

There are a few times when I posted a reply and wanted to remove it a short time afterwards but this is not possible.

Any chance that this could be considered?

3. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    You will get full edit privileges when you have a sufficient post count (not sure, I think it's only 10). If you want a post deleted, click "report" and we will do it for you (if appropriate). Having second thoughts is only a case of replacing the offending post text with "deleted".

4. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    Could someone be so kind to answer my above question?
    Or is the question stupid?

5. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Patience required! I am considering how much I can make public without compromising spam defences (however, there is a topic in Forum Issues which contains some information, and that section is the better classification).

6. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    Patience mode On.
    Sorry.

7. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Full post quoted because it is scheduled for deletion from a different topic:
    To be honest, I don't actually know how the forum is configured in this respect (I have help, and just fiddle at the edges where I can't do too much harm). I do think this should be clarified (I need to know what's what, even if we decide not to publicise the information).

I belong to several forums, and there is one where one does not get edit privilege at all (not even for a short period) until one clocks up 250 posts! It is normal for only moderators to be able to delete posts or edit other people's posts. I agree that post editing is a basic necessity, particularly on a technical forum such as this and particularly when the members care about errors and presentation (as I do), but again another forum I use has unlimited editing, and that can be abused if a member has no scruples - eg altering an old post to change the flow of an augument. In that case it is vital to quote any post one is replying to, so that the context is recorded (editing a post does not alter existing quotations, but the poster who quotes it can alter the quotation - so that is a good reason not to alter the original!).

My current thoughts are that there should be a longer, but not indefinite, edit window, and then alterations to historical posts should be done through a moderator.

8. Roger

trueCall Model:
    Thanks, I understand your explanations, it makes perfect sense especially in regard to the fact that a technical forum should be limited as far as editing is concerned. I have since noticed that Diabolo HAL9000* has raised the same sort of question with the forum webmaster, so even the Administrators are having the same problem with the 10 minute time limit editing and having to re-post items rather than edit or delete their own older posts. Thanks

* Corrected by admin

9. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Reference?

PS: "d i a b l o" (devil) != "d i a b o l o" (cross between a spinning top and a yoyo, which may be apposite...)

10. Roger

trueCall Model:
    Did you want the reference of Diabolo's posting. Sorry, that should have been Hal 9000's posting, the one you quoted from a different topic - my mistake. apologies.

11. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Diabolo!!! Are we suffering from auto-correction syndrome?

I queried it because diabolo is the softie on the team (as you may have noticed regarding software update announcements), and if he doesn't know then nobody does!

Oh what merriment! :devil: diabolo has added a substitution rule so it is now impossible to write "d i a b l o" even if one wanted to!!! The posts here won't make much sense unless you realise Roger has been missing an "o" out. :rofl:

12. Roger

trueCall Model:
    Apologies again - too early in the morning for me I suspect.

13. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    Thank you. I think this is a good compromise. I would propose a 72 h period.

My mother tongue is not English. I try to express my self as correct as possible and always use a spell-checker.
    But often I re-read my postings the next day and discover still errors. I would like to be able to correct these.
    If I also forget an important information I would like to add it.

Roger likes this.
  14. Roger

trueCall Model:
    Many thanks - that is much more of a chance to go back and correct errors.

15. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Right, well this is what is supposed to happen:

Newly registered users:
    • Title = "New Member" (shown to the left of posts under the user's name);
    • No URLs allowed in posts;
    • Award "likes" disabled;
    • Delete own posts disabled;
    • Edit own posts limited to 10 minutes (or until another post is started);
    • Upload attachments disabled;
    • No vote in polls;
    • No signature.
    Promoted* users:
    • Title = "Member"
    • URLs in posts;
    • Can award "likes" (votes of thanks for any particular post, contribution to the poster's trophy points);
    • Delete own posts;
    • Edit own posts for unlimited time;
    • Upload attachments;
    • Vote in polls;
    • Signature;
    • Access to the Village Pump (social section).
    * New Members are automatically promoted to Members when they:
    • have at least 10 posts, and
    • have been registered for at least 10 days, and
    • have specified something for the trueCall Model field in their profile.

diabolo and Roger like this.
  16. Roger

trueCall Model:

I am still a Fresher

17. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    You shouldn't be, because you managed to like post 13, but I agree you have not been registered quite long enough. Like I said it's not working properly.

18. Roger

trueCall Model:
    A quick look down the list of members - everyone except you and Diabolo seem to be Freshers - You are right it seems it may not to be working properly but it may need time to update itself. Keep up the good work.

19. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    Great news. I totally support it.
    I just wanted to point out that until yesterday, if you posted one message and afterwards immediately another one, the first one couldn't be edited anymore. Even before the 10 minutes limit.

20. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Oops! :oops: I'm only a month out!!
    That is very likely, before promotion.

I think it is all resolved now, and new users will have the title "New Member", which then becomes "Member" when promoted. I have updated post 15.