1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

It all works but....no outgoing phone line when unit plugged in

Discussion in 'trueCall Call Blocker' started by Ang, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Ang

Ang New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Hi all, I have a second hand unit that was attached to my friend's dad's line and worked fine. He gave it to me to use for my demented dad. Incoming works fine, lets known numbers through and unknown ones get the message but there is no outgoing telephone line so dad can't make calls. Unplug the unit and outgoing line audible. Plug it back in, no calls possible. Dad uses Sky as the phone & broadband provider. There is a filter on the phone socket. Any help very much appreciated as he's getting scam calls that upset him. Unfortunately I'm 200 miles away so have to get this sorted by end of tomorrow (Tuesday) before have to go back home on Wednesday. Nothing like a bit of pressure! Thanks in advance.

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    First: see what happens if you unpower the trueCall rather than disconnecting it (relays inside should connect the line through to the phone, bypassing the "innards".

Second: test the unit on a normal BT-type line, with another phone connected. Ask a neighbour or something. There could be some kind of incompatibility with the line, or with the phone.

Then, with that basic information, the quickest way to resolve the issue will be to phone trueCall for support - see FAQ: http://truecallcommunity.co.uk/threads/faqs-frequently-asked-questions.21/

In the longer term: by setting the unit up with an ICP account, you can have remote on-line access to (and control of) call logs, star and zap lists, settings, etc. If non-starred callers are sent to answering, the call logs will say so and you can pick up messages remotely. Very useful for remote management of mild dementia cases... but invasion of privacy issues require you have informed consent from the subject or agreement of Social Services.

Beware that some valid callers might be impossible to add to a star list - NHS and doctor's surgeries for example - and unable to leave a message because of privacy issues. You will need to give them an alternative contact (such as yourself),

3. Ang

Ang New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Many thanks. Unpowering allowed out going calls but obviously all incoming. I couldn't test the box on another line as dad doesn't talk to neighbours!

I tried calling trueCall but no reply and no time to wait for an email response. Bought a BT handset with trueCall built in but it's too complicated for Dad and I fear he'd end up blocking me!

So back to square one. Very frustrated that it didndoesn't work for Dad as it is exactly what he needs.

Many thanks for your reply.

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Not really. Okay, so you've missed this window of opportunity, but you can pursue it in slower time. The unit isn't doing any good where it is, so you could take it home and work it out. Try trueCall again - I'm sure they will pick up another time.

In the position you are with your father, I would have thought you needed to establish relations with kindly neighbours - particularly living so far away. This would have been an opportunity.

5. Ang

Ang New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    Yes, I'll test it remotely but I don't have a landline so will need to talk to neighbours, which at least I do. Sadly neighbours here are not kindly. That's life. I appreciate your kind input though.

6. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
  7. Ang

Ang New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker
    No, haven't managed to test it yet. I did speak with Sky re the landline and they simply said if the line works, you attach a box and then it doesn't work then it's the box so they're not interested & at the moment I can't argue against that.

8. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Speak to trueCall.