1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Large Membership?

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by toekneem, Apr 18, 2013.

1. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Essex, land of sunshine , drought and conservative policies
    As this is a fairly new forum for what is a specific item, it does appear to have a very large membership.

Having a look at the registered members page and it appears that there is a lot of potential spammers that could be registered going by some of the very very unusual usernames.:(

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Yes indeed. For some reason we have been targeted with around 70 registrations per day at peak, but it is difficult to tell who is genuine and who is not other than to go through them one by one looking at each registration in detail so they might as well stay there. I suspect there is some kind of hit list circulating around spammers (who get some kind of reward for click-throughs to web sites) of likely forums, when we set up we did not have all the "usual" preventions in place to start with and that may have been noticed.

They are mostly dormant because they soon find they can't post anything containing a URL until they have a track record, and I do not tolerate irrelevant content (the Village Pump section is also out of bounds until a member builds up a track record). Anyone posting anything the moderators decide is spam will have their account suspend, the offending content removed, and any other user names that poster may be using will also be suspended. All this is up in big letters before anyone registers, so why they continue to bother is beyond me.

There are also lists of suspect IP addresses used by habitual spammers, so we might at some point be able to automatically strip out the miscreants.

3. David

David Member

trueCall Model:
    Glorious Devon (Sod the NSA!)
    That's interesting. I wanted to post a message remarking on exactly the same observation. Glad I checked here first. I'm surprised they managed to get through the e-mail confirmation stage.

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Who noticed the posts in (apparently) Russian today (now expunged)?

Roger likes this.
  5. David

David Member

trueCall Model:
    Glorious Devon (Sod the NSA!)
    I hate to post just for the sake of it, but since you ask, I didn't. :tsk:

6. toekneem

toekneem Member

trueCall Model:
    Essex, land of sunshine , drought and conservative policies

Где все мои посты форума ушел.

Sorry had to get that in:lol:

7. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
  8. stevea

stevea New Member

I use the stopforumspam database on my forums, blocks about 250 attempts to register per day!

Any that do get through are resticted to a "new members" forum (that is only visible to them) where I expect them to post an introduction. They either don't bother, so they don't advance to full membership, or they post their spam and I ban them.

Haven't had any spam in the "real" forums since I introduced this and it doesn't take up too much of my time to police.

9. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Things are working fine at the moment.

10. Roger

Roger Moderator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    Perhaps if all else fails new member application could also ask the serial number and/or Runtime Version of the trueCall unit, with brief instructions of how to find these. I know there is possibly no way of you checking to see if it's genuine but lack of a serial number and/or runtime version may deter spammers.

11. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    So nobody without a trueCall yet could register to post pre-purchase queries? We ruled that out.

Roger likes this.
  12. Roger

Roger Moderator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    Fair comment. It was just an idea (obviously a rubbish one). It looks as if there is no easy way to deter spammers short of vetting nearly each application.

13. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Somehow they were defeating the Captcha; now it displays one question from a set that are easy to answer if you are real not a robot, and that seems to be working.

14. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    LOL!

15. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    So glad you did! You and diabolo made my choice for me (working well by the way!)

And re the other matter....languages you cannot read...hmmm...isn't this the inherent problem East of Offa's Dyke ("Clawdd Offa" in Welsh - it means "Offa's Ditch") ?:duel: I trust you realise that was very tongue in cheek though the translation is accurate. They had to dig a ditch to build the earthwork, so it's one's viewpoint of the structure that determines whether it be dyke or ditch. It's like the misunderstanding that occurs when a tourist who has a little Spanish calls the waiter and is horrified when the waiter replies that he is "going". In English the waiter replies from the customer's viewpoint (I'm coming); in many languages the reverse is the case.

Anyway, back to being serious - had I not been allowed to join because I had not yet decided fully (and I've been looking for about 18 months so did know of trueCall) I'd have decided it was a very odd marketing ploy...very odd indeed! And I'd have walked away.

This evening at Church a very old lady asked me what had been the minor interruption when she called me. I explained and explained why I had it. She has invited herself to tea so I may show her and explain more fully (well over 80 bless her!) She has to totter from one end of her bungalow to the other sometimes to answer the 'phone and gets the same problems we've all been having. So...as a result of being accepted with no trueCall, there may well be another sale.

16. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Oh I see - hence your dragon avatar. Interesting what you say about 'going', I am no linguist but I am interested in structure of language and I have not come across this before. It might explain the peculiarities of the English dialect in Wales - where is that to? By 'ere!

We'll keep a welcome in the hillsides...

17. cambrensis

cambrensis Member

trueCall Model:
    Welshman in England!
    The dialect I know as "Winglish"! To get the pronunciation it's better to write it "by year"; there are various nuances (actually literal transkations) which come out as "down by year,;over by there", etc. All the more hilarious as "hither and yon", and so on are largely defunct in standard English. The one that foxes all non-Welsh except the borderers is "coppish" (a noun, and I'm spelling phonetically and that's the only clue you get!) :devil: I shan't rattle on as I'm sure this is the wrong place.

18. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Open a topic in the Village Pump!