1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Should Numbers Display Like This?

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by HAL9000, May 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    Continental Europe
    Test. I will delete this Thread as soon as I have Member privileges.
    0/ 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 /

2. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe

3. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    [NB: This topic was originally titled "Test".]

I'm not having you cluttering up the sections like this! You get member privileges on Wednesday (god help us :)), but they only allow you to delete posts not topics.

4. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    A couple of points:
    1. I consider this an inappropriate use of the Report button. I am content to see reports requesting actions for the moderator that the originator is unable to do, eg delete a post when the originator does not have sufficient privilege, but otherwise reports should be confined to specific complaints about forum etiquette (eg advertising, foul language, gratuitous slagging, etc).
    2. There is nothing wrong with the numerals displayed. It is correct that numerals have ascenders and descenders, just like normal alphabet characters. It is just that some (unrefined) fonts happen to have numerals aligned the same as an upper case character.

5. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    Sorry.
    • I didn't know that I couldn't delete topics.
    • I did this test for something else. I surely don't intend to clutter anything.
    • Yes, I will have member privileges on Wednesday. But why add "god help us"?
      If I'm not welcomed, please send me a private conversation.
      If your accusations are founded, I will immediately leave this community.
    • But, sincerely, I don't understand.

6. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    My answer to your reply to #3 crossed your next reply #5.
    1. As I said, I didn't know that as Member I couldn't delete a Thread.
    2. I intended this test for something completely different.
    3. When I wrote down all these numbers, I discovered that these are sometimes uppercase and others larger.
    4. I used the Report function to inform you about this, thinking this would be the most appropriate way to inform all Webmasters as you once suggested to me.
    5. I stand corrected.
    6. But I still understand the "god help us". Please clarify.
    7. If you wish, delete this thread.

7. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Regarding your item 6 above, I realise English is not your native tongue and various remarks may well go over your head, but you are going to have to get used to sarcasm and banter around here! I certainly don't want this forum to become stuffy (meaning: constrained by formality).

I admit I could have added a smilie (emoticon) to try to convey the intention, but it would have been pretty obviously a jokey remark to most readers and you can't always rely on smilies, and insertion of smilies by iPad is (unfortunately) not straightforward (see HERE). Nothing serious intended I assure you. Your obvious enthusiasm to document the trueCall through your forum posts is entirely welcome, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Your English writing is very good (better than many natives of my experience), but if nothing else your residency here will knock some of the formality off it to make it more natural. If I might give you one small bit of advice: presume people have read the previous posts in a topic, and avoid reiterating unless there is a strong reason to. If people have not read previous posts, that's their problem not yours.

Sorry if you think this should have been conducted in private; I think it is useful guidance for everyone (just unfortunate that I happened to pick on you!). A thick skin is pretty much a necessity on forums, sooner or later.

8. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    PS: this is how the numerals in your post 2 look to me (6 & 8 above the line, 3 4 5 7 & 9 below the line). If they look the same to you there's no problem.

[​IMG]

9. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    Wow, Top Cat, I was really shocked and felt threatened about the "god" thing.
    I really felt like an excommunicated by a Webmaster and didn't understand the "why".

I thank you for your explanations.
    I know that you use sarcasm (as I like to do it in my language).
    But please understand that you can't use the same black humor on a non-native English speaking person as on English one.
    This would be my small bit of advice.

There are other trueCall users, which English is not their native language. I know it.
    English sarcasm is very special and you can't just easily look it up on a Website. I tried it.
    I'm happy that I understand almost 80% of Monty Python's, Gervais's, Izzard's, Louis CK's., Bill Burr's and G. Carlin's sarcasm.
    If I would apply my sarcasm on this Forum, be sure, that less than 5 % would understand it. It's just cultural.
    But trueCall is getting international!

You are by definition right. But my experience shows me that even before mentioned, obvious things have to be explained again in a simpler way, if you want to reach all members and guests. All are potential trueCall customers.
    And I'm still waiting the day the trueCall Blocker will be sold on non-English territory, which I hope will come soon!

This is my approach. My goals are:
    · Collect data
    · Document almost anything possible.
    · Post it as comprehensible as possible, even if it has been explained before.
    · Always include the sources of my postings, as respect to the original poster.

HAL9000

10. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    There is a problem. Not all numbers are on the same "height". If I write TC2 and TC3, the numbers are not on the the same height!
    But there is no reason why they shouldn't. Ask a Polygraph.

11. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    Regarding your post 9, don't take this as a criticism but I have had my say and that is where I stand on the matter. There will be posts using obscure colloquial references etc, even if they don't come from me (and they will!).

Your goals are fine, but please limit the repetition of material unless there is substantial improvement to be made. If nothing else, I (and others) will have read it previously and will then have to read it again!

I am prepared to consider opening alternative language sections for non-English enquiries, but I am not sure how they could be moderated.

You might regard it as a problem, but it is not a fault with the forum!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygraph

12. HAL9000

HAL9000 Member

trueCall Model:
    Continental Europe
    I totally agree. I have to adapt.
    But I'm multilingual. Can you imagine how difficult it's for me to interpret any sarcasm/slang in any language I know?
    Can you you imagine how difficult it's for, let's say an Italian, who bought a trueCall unit to understand your very special, but funny, sarcasm?

I don't want a sterile Forum, but please think that non English-speaking persons that bought a trueCall (e.g. on my advice) are also reading this forum. And from what I know, it's in its logic that trueCall will expand on the non-English market.
    It's now that all interesting information will be published.
    If these new customers don't understand what it's about, they will either not come back or post their questions in
    Spanish / French / Italian / German / Russian etc.? :sos:

OK, I can live with these but expect questions. ;)

I understand. What I want to achieve is to reunite all these information in two threads. I'm working on it to make it more understandable.
    If you, or others find this is not the correct way to go, please tell it me before I reassemble all this information in the two following Threads:
    http://truecallcommunity.co.uk/threads/service-codes.144/
    http://truecallcommunity.co.uk/threads/tips-tricks-codes.147/

Ok.

Your link to the English Wikipedia Wiki about the word Polygraph is the best example for what I'm talking about.
    In German Polygraph means not the same as in English. Polygraph is a mixture of the Typography & Lithograf (two old proffessions that don't exist anymore but are today combined to Polyghraph in German). This is what meant about numbers not shown correctly. The correct Wikipedia article in Englisch would be (althoug it dosen't mention the word Polygraph):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printmaking
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_design

13. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I think the English equivalent would be "typography"/"typographer".

This topic has gone way beyond where it needs to. Let's can it (meaning: from the early movie industry, put the finished film into the tin can - ie "declare it finished, for better or worse". Don't expect dictionary explanations for everything, and don't expect many people to know where expressions come from!).

14. diabolo

diabolo Maintainer Staff Member

trueCall Model:
    England
    The software used on this site, Xenforo, uses the Georgia font at 11pt for posts. It was chosen by the Xenforo developers after careful consideration - as one of the more readable fonts.

Numbers have different ascenders and descenders depending on the typeface. What typographers do is centre the body of the number based on what they believe looks good, then go up or down from there. Usually that variation is on serif faces, but not always. You can't control it, in any case.

The fact is, the 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 in Georgia are larger than the 0, 1 and 2.

You can select a different font family for your post if it bothers you:

Arial: 0123456789
    Helvetica: 0123456789

15. Top Cat

trueCall Model:
    Englishman in Wales!
    I dislike the untidiness of posts in the forum having different typefaces or point sizes, and would prefer to discourage it.

Out of the standard set, Georgia certainly has my approval as being easily scanned: it has features which lead the eye along the text line, whereas the "even" typefaces are like a flat landscape with few landmarks so the words merge into a blur and require more effort to read.

Ditto strings of numbers: the features in Georgia make a long number more palatable than it would be in Arial or Helvetica (or Tahoma) - in those it is best to break up a string of digits with spaces or commas. The ascenders and descenders are not unique to Georgia - they mimic the formation of numerals in traditional typefaces and copperplate handwriting. When using a quill and ink, obviously a "0" is going to be lesser in height than an "8".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.