1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

trueCall Blocker isnt working as it did on first installation.

Discussion in 'trueCall Call Blocker' started by Scam Buster, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Scam Buster

Scam Buster New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    UK
    We have been having issues with our system since mid December.

Previously, we had set it up with a Star list and out worked perfectly. It only let star callers through to the landline (my fathers house line) Any other calls got diverted to a message from me asking them to ring me if they wanted to get hold of my Dad and giving them my number.

Any Star callers would get through to his normal BT answerphone service, that is available from his hand set. That service is associated with his land line when the phone isnt answered.

NOW, it seems to be sending both wanted (Star callers) and unwanted (Unrecognised callers) to my message that I recorded on the True Call base station but after my message, Mrs trueCall comes on line and says
    “Please leave a message”

Fortunately, my father doesnt know how to retrieve these messages or he would be speaking to the criminals in USA who have already defrauded him of £ 3million and be giving them more £’s.

I have tried, with my IT savvy son, to reset/programme the system without luck. At present (after we customised the settings, the Star callers go to the trueCall answer system that I recorded, asking them to ring me and then Mrs trueCall offers to take a message. And when he tries to download the messages (which he does with alarming regularity....6 or 10 times/day) ‘SHE’ asks him to enter a PIN number. I had thought the PIN was only used if you were calling in from a remote/unrecognised number so I had picked that setting but I have now removed that setting but I dont know how to get his home phone to take the messages again. (Maybe I should also explain that he doesnt know this system is installed as yet....if he did, he would unplug it because he is a control freak and wants/needs to know what each and every callers wants/who they were.

It is possible that the systems was working like this from the start but because we were updating it on a regular basis when we added new members to the Star list that we didnt notice these messages being stored on trueCall and only downloaded to his handset station when we updated the system by pressing the ‘pinkie’ but I am not so sure!

HELP! Please!

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    Not sure, but I know I have a PIN for that - I may have set it up myself.

I'm finding your account difficult to distill, but a few observations:
    1. To ensure the home phone messaging picks up before the trueCall massaging, the home phone unanswer timeout must be shorter than the trueCall unanswer timeout.

2. I assume you are making configuration changes through the ICP. Are you aware of how to force a weblink remotely? http://truecallcommunity.co.uk/threads/weblink-control.96/#post-352

3. All bets are off if CLI stops from the phone provider. This is worth checking, there have been reports of CLI loss that the phone provider had to look into.

As a general point for anyone reading this: please remember the protection laws. I assume the OP's father is known to Social Services and has a case worker, and he needs to get them on board before actively denying his father his wishes. To do otherwise would be effectively an unlawful deprivation of liberty (even though all he is doing is trying to keep loved ones safe). I'm not saying he mustn't do it; I am saying it could be interpreted as domestic abuse by coercive control, with potential consequences down the line.

In law, everyone is entitled to make their own mistakes (however foolish they may appear to others) unless and until there is a formal declaration of incapacity. In my view, it would be less controversial to (a) invoke power of attorney and take control of bank accounts (so no money goes out without his say so), for which there is a legal instrument, and (b) only block known documented scam numbers, than to actively intercept all unknown calls (which could be considered unlawful interference).

trueCall is a useful tool to manage calls in one's own household and with the subscriber's knowledge. It can provide independence for the vulnerable by acting as a safety barrier... with their permission, or with appropriate legal instruments in place. What you should not do is act without the subscriber's permission unless you have legal authority to do so. If the social worker agrees to it, you have somebody else to blame if questions are asked.

3. Scam Buster

Scam Buster New Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    Thanks Top Cat.

It is possible that the CLI has failed. I have made some changes again on the ICP and have set it to update daily so at least he will get the messages downloaded to his landline messaging service every day.

I will wait a week or so to see what happens and if there is no improvement then I will contact the phone provider.

Thanks for the comments re ‘domestic abuse’. We have PoA in place but we are trying not to use it when possible, so that he does retain control as much as possible. He still uses his bank account etc even though the Police and FCA advise otherwise! Its a very hard balance especially when he can agree to something one day (ie to stop contacting USA) and then doesn’t recall this agreement and returns their dropped calls the next! Hey-Ho!

BUT trueCall has been brilliant up until this recent event. Fingers crossed and thanks for the help.

4. Scam Buster

Scam Buster New Member

trueCall Model:
    UK
    Hi Top Cat,
    I just reset Dads phone so that trueCall answers after 11 rings rather than the default 9. However, in doing so, I took time to read the trueCall extra info. They write:

Important note – if you wish to continue using a 1571 network voicemail service, trueCall's voicemail must answer your calls before the 1571 network voicemail service. Different networks have different voicemail timers, so in this situation we recommend that you set trueCall to pick up after 9 seconds.

This is in fact the opposite of how you suggested doing it???..... To ensure the home phone messaging picks up before the trueCall massaging, the home phone unanswer timeout must be shorter than the trueCall unanswer timeout.

To my mind, it makes more sense to set it as you say (1571 answer machine switches in before the trueCall voicemail??) Have you any ideas on this??

5. Top Cat

Top Cat Administrator Forum Volunteer

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic + Extra + Recorder
    Englishman in Wales!
    There is an issue here: 1571 voicemail is nothing to do with the phone itself. The 1571 service is (effectively) a messaging machine built into the exchange, so it intercepts calls before they get to the trueCall and trueCall has no means to pass calls on to it.

What I described is when there is a messaging recorder built into the phone (many DECT phones provide messaging in their base stations), and that's what you need. Turn off 1571 and use messaging in the phone.

I think this may be why your first post confused me.