1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the trueCall Community Forum - The official discussion forum for trueCall users.

You are currently browsing as a guest. You are invited to register with the trueCall Community Forum and join this growing community of trueCall users. Registration only takes a minute and has benefits such as the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

trueCall with Vonage Line.

Discussion in 'trueCall Call Blocker' started by zoltronix, May 2, 2015.

1. zoltronix

zoltronix New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    UK
    I have had a trueCall Blocker+Recorder for around 6 months which was working with a Sky telephone line without issues. However we recently switched to Vonage.

However since switching to Vonage the landline will not ring, initially I thought it might have had something to do with how Vonage display their incoming Caller IDs, they prefix incoming numbers with 44 omitting the first zero which usually appears on UK numbers.

So I edited my star lists pre-fixing the 44 and removing the zero, I then did a web-link and tested the line, still no phoneline ringing.

I then set the trueCall Unit to accept any call and yet again did a weblink and tested again, still no ringing phoneline.

I have tried connecting the phone directly to the Vonage VoIP unit and the phone rings no problem when the trueCall Unit is bypassed.

What is bizarre is when the trueCall unit is connected to the VoIP unit and the phone connected to the trueCall Unit I can get a dial tone and make calls, I can record calls, trueCall even recognises a call is coming in as the lights on the front change and the control panel updates stating a starred caller has called in but hung up left no message. However If I call in and wait for the lights to identify a call is coming in on the trueCall unit and I lift the handset the call will answer even though the phone never rang.

The phone isn't muted thats the first thing checked as it rings if the trueCall Unit is bypassed.

Can someone please explain what is going on here as i'm quite puzzled, I have spoken to trueCall and they said it should work with Vonage as they have a trueCall Unit connected to their Support line.

I'm just wondering if they have to tweak anything their end to get things working.

2. Immlang

Immlang New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    UK
    Did you manage to fix this? I'm interested in Vonage, but very keen not to lose trueCall functionality.

3. zoltronix

zoltronix New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Call Blocker + Recorder
    UK
    Yes trueCall does indeed work with a Vonage Line. We've been using ours now for over 12 months.

Once you have your Vonage line setup contact trueCall and tell them you are using a Vonage line. They have to make some changes to the trueCall device remotely, once they have made the changes you need to do a forced callback of the trueCall machine, but trueCall will advise of this. I'd advise calling trueCall technical support from a mobile so it frees up the Vonage line for the forced callback.

The problem with Vonage Lines is the trueCall device doesn't recognise a call is incoming so it won't pick it up, trueCall make some setting changes to the trueCall device recognises an incoming call.

However what I would advise doing is setting up double entries within your trueCall phonebook, one entry with the full phone number such as 0121 xxx xxxx, and set an identical entry up but omitting the first zero and replacing it with 44, such as 44121 xxx xxxx. This is because when a Vonage line recieves a call it prefixes the Caller ID with 44 which is the international access code for the UK.

Top Cat likes this.
  4. user1

user1 New Member

trueCall Model:
    trueCall Classic
    UK
    This is to confirm that TueCall does work with a Vonage line as has been said previously.The trueCall tech support folks, who I found to be most helpfu,l have to change a setting in your trueCall box, the setting is downloaded to your trueCall by using Weblink. The numbers in your star list also have to be prefixed with 44

There is a Vonage app called 'extensions' that allows you to make a vonage call from the app as if it came from your home phone. The app can also be set to ring on your mobile when a call is received on your home phone.
    I was interested to see how the app interacted with trueCall. I use the trueCall shield system so callers have to press a breakthrough key.
    If a caller who is on the star list calls then the app causes the mobile to ring (if it is set to do so) and the call can be answered from the mobile.
    For a caller not on the star list the app rings once and then cuts off. At home the trueCall unit sends the Shield announcement and if the caller presses the breakthrough key gets through to the home phone in the normal way. On my system if nobody is in the call gets sent to the phone answering system.

Top Cat likes this.